I had a hard time sleeping last night, so I woke up early and practiced yoga in the spare room (which is delightfully empty and will remain so until I locate a roommate that I'm willing to live with).
I just picked up a copy of the Fall Knitscene yesterday while I was out shopping and I immediately fell in love with this hat: gwynedd hat on Ravelry. I love the subtle lacework and the little bow on the side of it. However, I don't like hats that fit that tightly, so I'm probably going to go up a needle size or so and probably use a heavier weight yarn (simply because I don't have any yarn that weight in stash right now).
I finished my Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief yesterday. It's blocked and looking lovely, though it is too small to give my mom for Christmas. Looks like I'm back to knitting her a Boneyard shawl with yo increases to give it an airier feel.
I'm making progress on Wisp again. It's coming along quickly now that I've switched to circs instead of straight needles.
I CO a scarf yesterday (I know, I can't help myself). It's black and uses short rows for a ruffled effect. It's kind of slow going (due to the bulky yarn and the short rows...I just can't work as quickly with heavy yarn and big, chunky needles).
I plan to go running this evening once it cools off, provided that it isn't raining. Because it certainly looks like rain outside right now. It's gray and ugly. :( However, we desperately need the rain. And by 'we' I mean my vegetables and herbs.
I have to be in the lab today because they are transporting our chemicals to the HSC today. It's the first official day of our move over there, and I'm both excited and sad. I've loved working in the lab I have right now, and in the process of packing it up I have learned the stories of the many, many people who have stood where I have, worked as I have, and it makes me sad to eradicate them.
I have a double-helix keychain from a grad student in 1994 on my key ring and bones from an old anatomy display in my office. Pieces of outdated microscopes and old fashioned glass hypodermics, old glass bottles with frosted stoppers and metal spatulas. All these old things, all these old stories of objects abandoned in spaces that people considered at the time to be very personal, but which were all too public. I feel like an archeologist, peering into the lives of past generations.
Oh, and our burn rescue kit expired the year I was born. That's comforting. Our First Aid kit expired in 1997. I'm quietly suggesting that they be replaced.
I'm hoping that today is better than yesterday. I was in a foul mood yesterday. At the very least, I'm going to see Inception tonight with friends after a date night with Lee. So at least I have that to look forward to.
No comments:
Post a Comment