So I started mitt number two today. I'll have it somewhat done before I go to sleep tonight. Lee and I cooked steaks on the grill and had baked Brie with pesto as an appetizer. It was utterly fabulous.
Unfortunately, in the last few days before the move, I had to help euthanize about ten fish from our remaining system. The remainder of the fish (six 10-gallon tanks containing between 6 and 10 fish each) will move to the health science campus sometime this week.
Today was spent boxing books and preparing chemicals to euthanize fish. I have an early day tomorrow so I should probably head to bed soon.
Dad's scarf is coming along fairly well. I need to start Mom's wrap for her birthday (Sept. 3rd), and I want to start knitting a sweater for myself. The closest I've come to completing a sweater for myself was the Rose Shrug, which hardly counts (and was only a dubious success).
So, after I finish these mitts and Dad's scarf, I'm going to start those two large projects. I know I can work up Mom's birthday present in a week, if I push.
And my next few little projects are these: mittens (for running in the cold, which it turns out that I like a whole lot better than running in the heat) and slippers (because we still haven't insulated the house properly and because I can never get the kitchen floor clean enough to suit me).
I don't typically wear gloves or mittens during the winter because I desperately need my fingers to be free even when I'm outside. I'm constantly fiddling with things that need traction. My car is a stick for God's sake and I hate-hate-hate when my fingers slip when I'm shifting gears. I also don't typically wear slippers but since my house was so cold last winter and because my kitchen isn't carpeted...I think I'm going to start.
I also need to buckle down and sew herald tabbards for the day event early in August. I have the material and thread...I'm just tremendously lazy and distracted lately. I have recently taken a great interest in things which can be completed quickly and offer a sense of instant gratification. Small knitting projects, relatively small and easy sewing projects, packing up boxes of small things...I like being able to mark things off my To-Do list with speed.
Also, I finally got a library card today. And I love the little library that is closest to my house. It's on the way to and from school, actually. It has a fountain in the foyer and little green arm chairs and a delightful din of voices in the background. Silent places make me nervous when I'm reading for pleasure.
Oh, right. I was going to knit and go to bed. Time to go do that.
No comments:
Post a Comment