Now that the Veronika skirt pattern is live on Megan Nielsen's website, I figured I'd give you guys a look at the two versions I sewed up during the pattern testing process. The pattern includes instructions to make the skirt out of either knit or woven fabric, which is super-useful.
Woven gray Veronika with narrow waistband option
This is the first version I made. I've had this gray mystery-fabric in my stash for years, and was super pleased to get to use it up while making a great basic wardrobe item. I used a cream invisible zipper (and I really didn't do a very good job setting it in) and finished the waistband by hand. I finished the hem using bias tape which is hand-finished on the inside. I've gotten tons of compliments on this skirt - the weight and body of the fabric ended up being pretty perfect for this skirt - and I'm looking forward to wearing it more in the Fall.
Purple knit Veronika - elastic waistband
Since I did so much hand-sewing on my first version, when I decided to make a second one I went the turbo-easy route. This is purple cotton/poly ponte de roma from Joann Fabrics. I used 1" wide braided elastic in the waistband, and the guts are all serged. I didn't even bother to hem it. I've gotten a lot of wear out of this skirt so far this summer - it's less constricting and fussy than the gray version above and goes well with so many other wardrobe items.
I didn't line either version because I tend to prefer to wear a half-slip under my skirts. I'd rather mix and match half-slips than sew a lining on every skirt.
This was a great pattern (and it's free: http://megannielsen.com/collections/womens/products/veronika-skirt-sewing-pattern) and the pattern-testing process was absolutely awesome. I had so much fun getting to be part of the behind-the-scenes process and I hope I get the opportunity to do more pattern-testing in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment