Thursday, August 6, 2015

Update - Fall Sewing

The mornings here in Toledo have started to get cooler - it was 63 degrees today on my way to work - which has gotten me thinking about what my Fall sewing projects should be.  Or maybe it was seeing the new plaid flannels at Joann's last night.  Or maybe it was seeing all the "pumpkin-spice-is-coming" posts on the internet.  

Sewing-wise, summer is down-time for me.  I rarely sew things that are hot-weather appropriate because I don't want to invest that much time in things that can only be worn a few months out of the year.  I rarely wear shorts, and my skirts are designed to be worn year-round with boots/tights/leggings.  There's frankly no point in having a separate summer wardrobe when you live 15 minutes from the Michigan border.  As I write this, I'm wearing a flannel top, jeans, boots, and a wool-alpaca scarf because my current work space is so heavily air-conditioned that I'd be freezing otherwise.

I've finished the first bridesmaids dress for my sister's wedding in September, and once I finish the second - and last - one I'll be done with "required" sewing for a little while (except the sheath dress my sister requested but hopefully that won't take too long).  

Top of the list for Fall sewing is an Archer shirt in flannel.  I bought the pattern on New Year's Eve (according to my Gmail - maybe I bought it after imbibing?  Who knows) after it sat in my sewing pattern wish list for a solid four months.  I read through the instructions and sew along this morning and feel very confident that I can put this together with a reasonable amount of work.

Also on the list: another Linden sweatshirt, another knit pencil skirt (I've worn my version of Gertie's knit pencil skirt to death), a cropped jacket (pattern tbd), a black circle skirt (Veronika, in a ponte knit), a pair of slim-fit sweatpants (probably full length Anima pants, since the Hudson's have an awkward crotch curve), and a Hemlock tee in off-white/cream interlock.  I'm a pretty plain person, and I'm partial to very few silhouettes.  

Finally, I'd also like to announce that after several months of searching and interviewing, I've landed a really awesome job with a great company.  I'll be starting there in a few weeks, and I couldn't be happier or more excited.  It's been a long, unpleasant road since I graduated two years ago, but I feel like I'm finally headed in the right direction.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment