Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Morris Blazer II

The Morris Blazer is one of those patterns that I want to make over and over again.  While I loved my first version - made with ponte - I wanted something a little more structured to wear with my Myrtle dress to Asashi's wedding.  I had some black stretch poly suiting leftover from my Osaka skirt - just enough to cut a second Morris blazer.

Black poly Morris Blazer  

This blazer went together much the same as the first, though the suiting wouldn't hold a crease at all and was generally difficult to get to cooperate.  I had finished the assembly up to the part where the facing gets attached.

That is when I should have taken a break, gotten a snack and maybe some coffee, maybe watched a couple episodes of The Golden Girls.  But I didn't, because I'm still a somewhat foolish sewist and I like to get things done RIGHT NOW.

Somewhere along the way, the facing stopped lining up quite right.  So I spent a frustrating half hour unpicking black thread on black poly stretch suiting.  My poor eyes.  Then I quit.  And by quit, I mean I left the damn thing on my dress form for several days to a week.  I don't really remember how long, but I remember that we decided to leave a day early for the wedding since Josh was hastily added to the bridal party and like hell was I not going to wear this blazer at that wedding.

The morning we left, I attached the facing and finished the whole thing.  I made some missteps attaching the sleeve facings - I encountered the same problem I encountered with my first version where the facings were smaller than the sleeve - but so far I've left it the way it was when I finished it that day.  No one really seems to notice anyway.

Guts.

In the two months since the wedding, I've worn this more than almost any other me-made item.  I've worn it out to dinner, to parties, out shopping when I need a light jacket.  I love that I can wear it like a cardigan but that it looks structured, not frumpy.  Abundantly useful and super appropriate for all kinds of activities, this is one of my favorite kinds of sewing patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment