Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Morris Blazer

Grainline Studio dropped the much-anticipated Morris Blazer pattern yesterday, and I was immediately and totally besotted.  I'd been on the look-out for a short-jacket pattern to fill an existing gap in my me-made wardrobe and had considered the Coco jacket from Schnittchen and the Lourdes jacket from Named, but I wasn't (and still don't feel) ready to face a real coat pattern.



The Morris blazer ticked many boxes for me: it's both structured and drapey, looks comfortable, and I like the sleeve length.  Add to that the awesome styling of the pattern, and the knowledge that Jen produces incredibly high-quality patterns and directions, and I was sold.  It leapt into my shopping cart and before I knew it I was assembling a pdf pattern at 10 AM.



I already had five yards of black ponte - one of my preferred fabrics - set aside for tops, jackets, and cardigans in preparation for Me-Made May, so that's what I used for this version.  Eventually I'd like to make a professional-wear version out of black stretch suiting.



I assembled this blazer primarily using my serger, though I used my Janome to do the topstitching and to baste everything together before serging.  The fabric I used was a little too drapey for this pattern, but I still love the jacket and will wear the hell out of it.

As usual, the drafting and instructions were superb and I had very little trouble putting Morris together.  I spent the whole day yesterday on this project (with breaks) but actual assembly probably only took 2-3 hours once everything was cut out and interfaced.

I had a heck of a time doing the sleeve facings, which I assume is because I was tired and getting grumpy after a long day of preparation and sewing.  It could also be due to the amount of stretch in the fabric - the sleeve was significantly bigger than the interfaced facing, and I had trouble easing it in evenly.  "I should probably quit while I'm ahead" occurred to me right before I did it, but I really wanted it done.  It isn't super-noticeable when the jacket's being worn.

This pattern is definitely a winner for me, and I'll absolutely be sewing it up again in a more structured fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment